So yesterday I decided to make the trek into Bundang which is a little south of Seoul. I took the train from Paju and then I caught the subway in Seoul Station. Now, those of you who know me know that my sense of direction is really really bad. I'm not the guy who you come to when you get lost, but I think that's all about to change. The reason is because I have to pay attention now. When I'm traveling all by myself I have to pay attention to signs and read maps like normal people. Who knew. You look at the map, find where you are and then find where you want to go. The map actually shows you how to get there? I don't know what kind of new technology I'm dealing with here but if those crazy explorers back in the day had maps they could have really done some things you know.
Anyways, I got lost in the subway system of Seoul for a while but I'm glad I did because I quickly realized that I can take care of myself. I looked at the subway map and quickly figured out where I had gone wrong. Bundang is where Danielle is going to be and I think it only took me about two hours to get there but I got lost so it felt more like 3 and a half.
So I'm on the train and then I'm on the subway and I'm looking around at all the lovely Korean faces pretending like they are not interested in me. To bad I can see them all in the reflection of the subway window staring at me. The little kids are the best though because they don't mess around. They walk in the subway, see me, and their eyes get huge and the yell something I don't understand and then come up to me and touch me. They are friendly enough but like I've said at times one does feel like a freak show. I love the little kids though. They are so curious and have no fear. I've met some nice people on the subway too. A lot of the stops sound alike so it would be easy to miss your station to get off so sometime I have to ask people what stop I'm at.
I also find that as much as people stare at me I'm staring at them too. I have seen some very sharply dressed people. Some really sharp outfits on the guys. Too bad nothing here will ever fit me. For the most part they are very petite and lean.....and I am not. But it's the women who steal the thunder. I have never seen so many knee high boots in my life. Knee high boot and tights with mine skirts that would make Paris Hilton blush.
I'm sure I will get more used to the subway system the more I use it. I ended up getting pretty sick last night. I think this whole voyage in general took a lot out on my system and I'm finally paying the price. My throat started hurting on the subway yesterday and it got really bad last night. I'm still not feeling so hot right now actually. I hope I feel better tomorrow because I have to go back to work. I'm glad I have a strong immune system usually because there are a lot of people in this tiny country. The subway is hot and packed. I was sweating my ass off. You can't be a germ a phob and live here, that's for sure. I guess in the summers it gets really bad because all the pollution from China blows over the country with the trade winds. They call it the "yellow dust" obviously because it's yellow. But I guess you have to wear those white face masks a lot of the summer, especially in the Seoul area. Good thing for me I'm more in the country but it still gets bad here I guess.
Well, that's all I have for now. I'm going to try to rest up some. Peace from Korea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment