Sunday, June 1, 2008

Your last choice ever?

Man, Senator Clinton supporters are pissed off. These people are up in arms about the treatment of their candidate. People screaming things like "No Obama" or "Clinton or McCain". First of all, I think their feelings are completely valid. Senator Clinton has received a raw deal from the press and other media sources. She has been treated disrespectfully by countless numbers of people with influence. Sexism runs wild in the United States and I think a lot of old and "not so old" wounds are being exposed here. Debates about if it's OK to call Senator Clinton a bitch or not, some idiot man holding up a sign reading "wash my shirt". Comments on fox by male reporters stating that Senator Clinton reminds them of an "ex-wife", these are all shameful events. Some men and some women for that matter are uncomfortable with having women in positions of power. I've said this before and I still believe it's true that women are the most oppressed group on the planet. They are systematically sealed off from positions of power, self sufficiency and self determination. I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not but it sounds good regardless.

Men who fear equal and fair treatment of the opposite sex have always fascinated me. It's almost as if it would be admitting there was something wrong with them as a man to have a women elevated above them in some capacity. As if it is the "divine right" of man to be above woman. I'm sure at some point in my life this world view was implanted inside of my head but it didn't remain there long. I grew up in a house hold with a strong female presence. All my life I've been surrounded by strong, intelligent women. I have way more female friends than I do male friends and that has nothing to do with liking the company of women. I just want to be in good position when they finally realize they have the power to take over the world.

As a man, I can never truly understand what it is like to be a woman in these times. But that is not an excuse not to try to become as aware as I possible can. I have to reflect honestly on my own shit and be truthful about some of the deeply buried prejudices I might have towards women that reside in my brain. Flip that mental rug over, look at the mess I've been sweeping under it and clean it up. This helps me to be a better friend and a more present partner. I consider myself a "listener of stories" and I have an excellent memory. The physical, emotional and mental abuses my female friends have had to endure during their lives is shameful.

I'm sure Senator Clinton's past isn't that different from my friends. Just look at the embarrassment she had to endure when her husband decided to step out on her. Imagine the strength it takes to have the entire world....THE ENTIRE WORLD know that your partner doesn't respect your relationship? That is a gigantic cross she bared and we all watched her do it.

Does this blog mean that I'm a Clinton supporter? Nope. I don't think I am. But I'm not a Clinton "non supporter" either. I'm one of those people who find that "any change" from the current direction our country continues to sail towards would be life saving. Our country and our world is heading for disaster. I believe that with all my heart. But I also believe we are not lost yet. We are not completely lost. I do have hope and those who might mock the idea of hope may not be the right choice in my opinion to lead us away from the edge of the abyss.

So those of you who feel that Senator Clinton got a raw deal and was mistreated I would have to agree with you. But for those of you who are thinking of voting for McCain as a result of Senator Clinton's mistreatment will result in something positive you are very, very wrong! The next President of the United States will choose at least two of the next Supreme Court Justices. Those folks who are elected to the highest court in the land for life. Well, McCain has already said that he will nominate judges like those that George Bush nominated during his terms. That would be Roberts and Alito. In case you have not noticed these are not the most minority rights friendly folks. A woman's right to choose will be taken away. So I am at a loss when I see people jump from Clinton to McCain. These are the kind of choices that will effect our children's children.

Once the democratic primary shit storm has settled down I hope people will think long and hard about the choice they make. This just may be the last choice you are allowed to make for a long long time.

No comments: