Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Oh Hi, I'm chicken...

I went for a jog today with a friend of mine and my mind is playing tricks on me. I'm about to turn 33 in a few days and I my body hurts. My knee hurts (which isn't anything new) but I also found that I kept thinking that I'm older now so physical things should be more difficult for me. However, the truth is beside the occasional knee problem I feel better than I did when I was in my 20's. When I go jogging with other people they tend to be in their 20's and it feels good to be in as good a shape or better shape then someone who is 26 years old. However, today was not one of those days. Christa is 26 years old and from South Africa. I get the feeling she spent her college years running and when I say running I mean that African kind of running. You know like running miles and miles just to go to the store. I can't compete with that. Of course, my pride forced me to run harder and we ran side by side. We ran for just over 40 minutes and when we finished I could hear my lungs and joints cursing my name. It was a good run, but I am old. I'm not old enough to stop jogging I'm just old enough appreciate the exercise I'm able to do.

Unless some horrible physical ailment befalls me I'm pretty sure I'll be exercising well into old age. It's a life style choice I made long ago without realizing what a good choice it was. I don't smoke, I don't drink often and I work out on a regular basis. I know nothing is guaranteed in life and I could wake up tomorrow with some mass growing inside of my body but I feel happy and healthy. 33 is my favorite number and this year, this month, this week I turn 33. I'm thinking this is my year. I'm excited to see what it brings. Surprises I'm sure. I just hope I make all the right and wrong choices that I'm supposed to make to end up where I'm gonna end up.

So, I've had this reoccurring dream about a little girl with long curly hair and mocha skin for about 5 years now. I've had the dream 4 times this month. It's a simple dream and I always wake up with a confused smile on my face. I'm walking with a little girl holding her hand, or maybe she's holding my hand. She smiles at me and I know that she's my daughter. I bend down so that our eyes are even and she puts her little hands on the side of my jaw and blows in my face. I've had different versions of this dream since I was 28 years old. Every time I wake up I feel like someones watching me. Not in the scary don't open that door you silly white person way, but just in a strange sensation kind of way. Does this mean I have wanted to have a child since I was 28 years old? I doubt that very much. I don't really know what it means, but it always leaves me with a pleasant feeling.

I'm sure I'll be writing a lot in the next couple of days so let me leave you with a new letter from last Sundays group of kids that left. I'm currently on day 7 of my ten days in a row of work. I cannot wait until Friday. I need me a break.



Again, I re-write this letter exactly as it was written to me:


To. Chris W

Oh Hi, I'm chicken (Kim Kyung-June),
when I saw you I felt some horror!
why? Because of your muscles.
However, as time goes, I realized how good you are.
you were good to everyone
not especially for me. That's hard to treat
students like that! How awesome you are!
Additionally, you were good actor too! You pointing
students, make fun of them and give a lot of stickers!
Every students will think you are great teacher.
You say you dont look Will Smith but are you sure?
You funny like Will smith! Maybe Obama like you?
I don't no but I love you anyways. Good bye!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is beautiful son

Anonymous said...

guess who
mom


Happy birthday again

He was a beautiful baby. March 19th was a good year

Love you and God bless