Sunday, July 26, 2009

All good things

I'm heading back to Portland in seven days and I think this will be my last blog entry for this particular blog. I've learned to know when something is over and this blog has run it's course. I have no doubt however that when I move overseas again I will be starting up a new blog with another inventive title. This blog has helped me get through some extremely rough times and it has also helped me to feel connected to people I care about deeply. I don't edit my blogs and I don't edit myself so what is presented to you is what is going on in my head at that particular moment in time. After talking with a friend a few days ago who had a question about a past blog I realized I have never gone back and read any of the blogs I've written. For me, it just feels good to get my thoughts and feelings out into the physical world. I can't imagine what it must be like to be unable to express yourself in some capacity. That sounds like hell to me.

As I'm preparing to leave the ROK I am thinking about the most important things I've learned since being here. I've boiled them down to ten things and I'd like to share them with you now.


10. It's uncomfortable to have a steam filled room full of Korean men stare at your penis. It's even more uncomfortable when some of those men move closer to you for a better look.


9. When visiting North Korea don't stare at the North Korean soldiers for more than three seconds...they don't like that. Also, when visiting North Korea be prepared to make a "donation" so as not to have your passport stamped.


8. Kimchi is best when it is in the "in between" stages of fermentation. Old Kimchi is nasty. New Kimchi doesn't have enough zing. In between Kimchi is perfect!


7. South African women can and will drink you under the table given half the chance to do so.



6. People will tell you the most intimate details of their lives if they trust that you are listening to them.



5. Friends are worth more than any amount of currency on the planet.



4. I have more to contribute to the world than I thought I did. I think I have finally found my voice and I'm excited to have the opportunity to use it.


3. Hugs are wonderful and cleansing. Hugs are healing and one of the quickest ways of connecting with another human being. I am a great hugger.


2. Let it go. Let it all go. In the end it's not nearly as important as you think it is. Trust your inner voice and that feeling you get in your stomach.


1. If you can't be honest with yourself you will never be honest with anyone else around you. The truth really does set you free. So don't be afraid to admit when you have made a mistake and don't be afraid to stick to what you hold most important.



Done.

Skype me. Email me. Call me. Facebook me.


cdubsla@yahoo.com geromeshanklin@yahoo.com no phone number yet...sorry.

No comments: