Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Duper Tuesday

I just finished watching the Superbowl and I was reminded of how much stuff I am going to miss in this next year. I think it's an exciting time to be living in the U.S. and not because you just had a kick ass Superbowl game. By poor brother must be so upset right now because his precious Patriots lost...

Anyways, with the upcoming "super-tuesday" I find myself wishing I could be around my friends talking politics. I was listening to NPR today and this man was hosting a forum at a predominately black college in Baltimore. I guess the previous day he had hosted a forum at an all womens college discussing the topic of Hilary Clinton and what a nomination would mean to women across the country. Today he was talking about what a African-American nomination would mean to Blacks across the country. It was an interesting discussion of which I want to discuss some topics that were discussed but I have to say the funniest thing about the forum was that the host, who was a white guy had so much trouble pronouncing the names of the people in the audience and calling in talk and ask questions of the panel. It was the funniest damn thing I've heard in a while. He would be like, "Next we have...Shhh....Shaw...Shaw-knee-Ca?" "Did I pronounce your name correctly?" I swear, every other person he called on or took phone calls from you could tell he was sweating having to pronounce their names.

Speaking of predominately Black colleges someone here had asked me why there are "Black Colleges" in the United States. I told him that you don't have to be black in order to get in to these colleges but historically most of these colleges were the only places that Black were allowed to get an education. I also brought up the fact that although we don't have "White Colleges" in American we have "White Colleges" in America. We have lots and lots of white colleges in America, I went to one. Colorado College had exactly 34 black men and women (including myself) when I attended its halls of higher learning in 1994. It was small and it was private and there are hundred of colleges just like it spread across the nation. Sometimes I think that people are quick to criticize groups and institutions without taking into account reality and swallowing a healthy dose of historical context.

I've told the story before about this white dude from Minnesota during my undergraduate years. It was obvious that he had not been exposed to different ways of thinking or people who even looked different but we struck up a cordial relationship with each other. One day he asked me "Why do Black people need their own television station?" He was talking about BET of course. He truly seemed upset by the notion that Black people would have their own channel. It was as if he felt personally attacked by this fact. He told me that white people didn't have their own channel so why should Blacks. I quickly corrected him and told him that the majority of television and media for that matter is directed at white culture. Can you guess what he said next? This motherfucker brought up "The Cosby Show and Martin". This made me laugh at the time and still gets a chuckle from me as I'm typing this. A few shows that have mostly non white Casts does not make a network diverse or even culturally sensitive. I told him that the existence of BET does not in any way threaten him and instead of reacting in fear and anger maybe he should watch a couple shows and he will see that Black people do bad TV just as good as White people do.

I bring this up because there seems to be a growing concern about Barack Obama, so of which is insulting and some of which is valid. Personally I am concerned about his foreign policy and experience. The fact is that George Bush is leaving our country worse then he found it. We need to rebound quickly on the international front and I have not made up my mind who is the best person to do that. I never quite bought into the idea that race would not enter this political competition. Just as Hilary is carrying the cross for women Obama is doing so for Blacks. It's like the supernova of political history. What I find interesting is all the hype about Black women being split. Do you vote Obama because he is Black or do you vote for Hilary because she is a women. Personally I think you should vote for the person you think will have the most positive influence on our country and our status in the world. But the media is acting like Blacks in general and women don't care about issues. I think it's difficult for people to vote because you have two applicants for the job who are both qualified.

If the news wants to interview people I think they should be sticking the Mic in the faces of White men. Think about it, this is the first time that they don't have a candidate who looks like them. I'll admit it's a strange feeling for me to see that it is possible for someone who can relate somewhat to my experience's as a Black man in America could be the Democratic nominee. I would assume women might have this same feeling. For my generation I believe the issues come first and then if you have a tie it just might come down to who you relate to more. I'm not silly enough to believe otherwise, but the media acts like Puff Daddy could be running for President and the Black community would all get behind him just because he's black. But, this brings me back to my question? Where is the media when it comes to "The White Man" at least for Democrats and independents. I'm curious what white men, in particular older white democratic and independent men are going to do. I'm curious how they feel. I think back about my conversations with the guy in college who seemed so upset by BET and I wonder how he feels. After all, he was a self described liberal. It must be somewhat unnerving to see that times are changing right in front of you eyes. All this country has ever known is an old white dude in charge of the oval office. That has been our entire history. That's a pretty big deal folks. Now there is the very real possibility that a women or a minority might assume that very powerful position and all the media can think to do is interview women and the black community? What? They are dropping the ball on this one, I am interested to know how majority feels about this. I want your fathers and your grandfathers to be interviewed. I think that will shine light on possible future events.

No comments: