Working in South Korea is learning experience. There is no such thing as job security over here. You get the feeling that you could get the boot at any moment for any reason. I've been speaking with a lot of Korean teachers here and they have told me some horror stories. One teacher told me not to grow any loyalties towards any job I work in Korea. She said "they will slit your throat without thinking twice". Now that is a hell of a statement. I have to say from what I've seen and heard it sounds true. People who have worked years for companies don't have their contracts renewed just because the employer doesn't want to pay them any more.
This is not to pretend that the U.S. is some great place to work where jobs are secure but I feel way more vulnerable away from home. Not just because I don't speak the language but because I don't know the laws and it seems like laws don't really come into play much over here where jobs are concerned. Danielle believes this is because you have so many people looking for work here. There are 50 people ready to take another persons place. This means that contracts don't mean shit over here. I was raised to finish what I started in regards to work and it was odd to hear from people who are from Korea telling me not to develop loyalties. It's sad but at this point I would have to agree with them. You have to just take care of yourself over here. Lucky for me so far I have not had any problems with management but I feel like I should have a backup just in case anything goes down.
Since I have my Masters I can apply for a job at a University here. University jobs teaching English is where it's at in this country. You get 4-5 months vacation and classes are small. The pay isn't great but you get paid so much money for over time AND you can teach other gigs outside of your University gig. It is "illegal" to teach English to other people outside of your regular job normally. They write it in the contract and you can lose your job if people find out. Although this doesn't stop most people from doing it anyways.
Before I left the U.S. I worked a job for a non profit in Portland. The job started out great but it ended on a low note. The pay was moderate but that's not why the job ended up sucking. It was the way they started treating the employee's. The "higher ups" started to have some serious power-trips and got rid of some people they shouldn't have. Again, I was treated pretty well while I worked there but the way they treated some of my co-workers was bad and thinking about it now, they probably walked the tight-rope on what was legal. The good thing about working a job like that was I realized I never want to work for a non-profit like that again. I wouldn't mind working with a good core of younger people who were starting a non profit concentrating on low income youths but I think I'm done with non-profits like the one I worked for in Portland.
So I still walk the earth like Cain in Kung-Fu looking for my purpose. I'm not sure it lies with teaching either. I don't mind it but I can't say I love it either. I wish going to school was a profession. I actually enjoy studying...as long as it's stuff I'm interested in. But, as I've already discussed I will not go back to school unless I can go for free. It just cost too much money. Guess I have to live in Europe for that.
Again, I'm not sure how long I will be here. No longer then 2 years unless I become President of the country. But if that happened, the country would shut down because when I walk into a room people can't do anything else but look at me.
I'm hoping this job and this work points me towards other opportunities that will give me more of the tingle I'm searching for in my work. I want to work a job that gives me cell vibrations. A job that lets me know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. People should not settle for the job they take. That is easier said then done but that doesn't make it any less true.
I'm still trying to live a life that is more true to myself. This means that I may lose some people along the way but sometimes you have to lose people to find yourself. Feel free to put that in a fortune cookie if you want. I am no longer willing to swallow certain things in my old age. I can not remain silent on certain issues and I'm ready to stand up for what I know to be right. I'm also ready to take the consequences of my actions. This means that even though it is legal for teachers to hit students in this country if it was ever to happen in front of me I would put an end to it quickly. This would probably result in me losing my job but some jobs are not worth selling out your beliefs.
Korea is still a pretty amazing place to live in but the dust is starting to settle.
C
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment