Thursday, July 17, 2008

Jesus Camp

I just finished watching the documentary "Jesus Camp" for the first time and the first thing that comes to mind is....HOLY SHIT. I have not been entertained like that in a very long time. This is what watching a public execution must have been like back in the days of kings, knights, dragons, and maidens. I could not stop watching it. I knew it was wrong and I felt a piece of my humanity leave my body but I kept my eyes glued to the screen. Maybe I was seeing things but there's this one scene where all the little kids are crying and "speaking in tongues" working themselves into a fever. Their faces are turning red and their dripping with sweat. I started to think to myself, "wow, that's a lot of crazy white children." Right at that moment the camera focused in a little black boy. This young man looked dead into the lens and I swear to God he mouthed the words "Help Me!"

I love horror movies and this movie scared the living shit out of me. I would recommend it highly. The scariest thing about this movie is that there are millions of these people....millions. Millions and millions of these people running around the nation unchecked. What's ironic is that these are the same people who fear "the Muslims" because of their extreme beliefs. Religion ain't my thing. Never has been probably never will be. Since a spent the first half of my life in a religious environment I feel that I have an interesting perspective on religion . I don't need to go into details about it but lets just say extreme views, regardless of the topic, usually breed negative rhetoric and actions. Religion doesn't scare me but certain people who practice it do.

The main lady in the movie said something that really summed up my stereotype of these people. She said something like, "The Jews have their religion and Muslims do what they do but I have the Truth." She said this with a shit eating grin on her face that sent a deep chill down my spine. That's the look that will end the world. That's the look that will push "the button" and launch the bombs. That is the look that will make sure everyone drinks the Kool-Aide. Human being are such fucking hypocrites. I don't know if it's in our DNA or what but not a single one of us is immune from this condition. Every last one of us! There has to be some common ground. There has to be. It can't be this my way or the highway shit. That attitude has gotten us no where. It is my hope that the majority of our country whom I believe lays somewhere in the middle of this extreme continuum will tire of the two sides. It is my belief that we middle folk are getting pretty fucking tired of the two extreme sides taking up all the airtime. The ultra Right and the ultra Left have hogged the lime light for long enough. The time of the middle is approaching....God willing!

No comments: