What is it about marriage that people are claiming they want to protect? I'm just curious cause I've never been married and I can't say the shits really in my future. But I wanna know what's so sweet about marriage that only heterosexual people should be allowed to do it? I've heard a few different arguments and I'm just not convinced. People need to stop pretending like marriage is this sacred thing because if it was so freaking sacred there would not be so many divorces and miserable people who wish they never met their current spouse. I'm annoyed because human beings are being treated like their lives are not as important as other human beings because they are gay. What the fuck? If you think you're better than someone because he or she is gay and you are not then just be honest about that. Don't hide behind your religion. Just come out and say that YOU are an asshole who thinks your better than a particular group of people and that they should not have the same rights that you enjoy simply because you are who you are and they are who they are.
This seems to be how it always starts. You single out a particular group of folks and deny them certain rights and certain protections. Why stop at fucking marriage? Why don't we make all gay people register with a special agency so we can keep tabs on them. Better yet we can make them wear special uniforms so that everyone can tell us and them? "Oh, Chris you're being ridiculous right now we would never do that. It is America after all." But that is what we (our society) are doing. We are telling people that they don't deserve what everyone else has. We are telling our brothers our sisters our aunts our uncles our mothers our fathers our grandparents that something is wrong with them. We are telling them that they are less than we are.
Can you imagine if people tried to put an age limit on people getting married? I'm not talking about ten year olds who want to get married, I'm talking about those old ass men who get married to those young ass girls. What if the country decided that this should not be allowed because marriage should be reserved for people who were no more than ten years apart in age? That shit would never fly. If you're one of those people who thinks "if we allow the gays to marry then people will be able to marry animals soon after that" then you are a fool. You are a fool and I want you to turn the power off to your computer and don't' bother reading my blogs any more.
I'm so annoyed by the ease at which people discriminate against "The Gays". I'm drawing my line in the sand about the situation because this homophobia is an extension of the hate and the pain that affects all of us. If you don't think all this shit is connected you really need to take a step back and open your eyes. If the tone of my blog sounds a little angry then you should quit your job and become and detective cause you're right on. I am angry and you should be angry too because shit like this doesn't stop until people group together and stop it.
I was listening to this conversation between these two guys at my work place and they were discussing the current situation in the United States with some states like California voting not to make marriage between same sex couples legal. The things that were coming out of their mouths sparked something inside of me and I could not remain silent. I asked them why they were so afraid of gay people and they did not like that question at all. After about two minutes of denial, insults, questions and answers the larger guy said "It's just wrong okay, it's just wrong!" He got up and walked away and I came home to write this blog. It's just wrong? This is the same guy who doesn't like Jewish people by the way. I've talked about him before and the more I hear him talk the less I want him around other people.
Before he got up and said his final statement he asked me why I cared so much and followed that question up with a "Are you gay?" This is a classic question men like to ask other men who don't engage in homophobic commentary with the group. I know this because when I was in middle school the most ridiculous comments about gay people used to come out of my mouth. But I'm not in middle school any more. I'm an adult who understands the power of words and the need for transformation. It's a shame that gay people have to be over joyed when states like Connecticut legalize marriage for them. Can you imagine, being so excited just because you are "allowed" to marry. I can't. You know why, because that right has never been denied to me. I can get married whenever and wherever the fuck I want. I take that shit for granted. All people should be able to take marriage for granted not just heterosexuals. I know a lot of married people who take marriage for granted for Christ sake!
I hope one day there is no gay marriage. I hope there is just marriage and that it doesn't require the gay at the beginning of it. When two people of different races marry they don't call it "Interracial marriage" do they? Nope, it's just marriage. When an old man marries a twenty year old they don't call it "What the fuck marriage" do they? Nope. It's just marriage and that is my hope for the gay communities of the world.
As a person who was raised in the Christian faith I have to tell you that all the stories I've heard and read about Jesus make me think he would not be very happy with how so many of you have behaved about this issue. As a matter of fact I have a feeling he would be pretty freaking ashamed of you. I don't have a problem with religion. It's not for me, but to each their own. But when to each their own becomes you have your hand in everyone else's cookie jar you need your hand fucking slapped...hard.
I'm not gay but I think it's just as important for me to speak out against the mistreatment of gay folk in our society. This shit is not solely a "gay issue", it's a human issue. I was raised to know the difference between right and wrong and to speak up when I saw or heard wrong going on. That's what I plan on doing.
Progress can be slowed down but it can never be stopped. The recent elections are proof of this. I guess we have to decide if we want to live in a society that is ruled by fear and oppression or one that is ruled by hope acceptance and equality for all peoples. My very existence is one that was born in the fires of perseverance, faith and courage. I want to make sure that I'm on the right side of history when people look back at our time on this planet. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Do you wanna be in that black and white photo stand back watching a lynching or do you wanna be in that black and white photo marching for equal rights?
Think about it.
Laters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Damn. You are adept with words and emotions. I think you need to publish these. What about sending a letter to the editor somewhere?
I agree with you about this GAY MARRIAGE thing. I just don't care. No one elses marriage is going to effect my marrieage. When someone gets divorced they get divorced because of something between the couple not because two dudes are together. Good points. By the way..I appreciate your humor as well, though I am much funnier and better looking than you.
Your Brother
Benji or Ben (I don't care about that either)
Peace and Soul
Uhhhh, pardon the words I did not spell correctly. I am better than that coach. I know I am.
-Ben
Isn't it amazing how afraid people are of change? How much time, money, and resources are wasted fighting over "marriage"
I'll march with you. The last time I marched was during one of those MSU riots during college and I definitely don't want to be remembered for that!
LT
Post a Comment