I've had these things on the for almost the entire times I've lived in Korea and last week I finally got the bottom ones taken off. Yes, I'm talking about by braces. The bottoms are off and the top ones come off in about seven days. Needless to say I'm very excited about having my teeth back. My tongue won't stop exploring the new sensitive it gets every time it runs itself over my teeth. My very straight and white teeth! It's strange to see them now, they look naked. I got so used to having them sealed in tombs of plastic and metal I forgot how damn white they are. I think it's only fitting that in my last few weeks inside of this country I'm getting my teeth returned to me. It was a big deal for me (being as vain as I am) to get braces in the first place. I can't believe it's really been over a year and a half since I had them put on. I can't believe it's been over a year and a half since I set foot inside of this country. I don't' read my blogs once I write them, which probably accounts for all the spelling mistakes and grammar abominations.
I feel like I woke up since I've been here and it's such a strange sensation that can't really be put into words. I still have a wonderful memory and I can remember all the things that have happened to me and all the things I've done but some of those things feels like a life time ago. I don't feel like that person any more. I know that's not some new and deep concept but it's the truth. A small part of me is worried that I won't have a place to fit into when I go home. But then I know that's just ridiculous because I've got some great people in my life. This exchange rate is killing me because I'm going to have to send my money soon and I will lose. There's just no way around it. Some of my friends are telling me to just send a little bit and leave the rest here and wait for the exchange rate to go back up but I don't think that rate is going to go up for a long time. I don't think it's every going to break even again actually. But, these things happen and I have to take my lumps. I've become used to taking lumps here. In the end, it's just money. Not that money isn't great and important but it really is just money. I hope to have a lot of it one day but if I don't I think I'll be alright.
I'm returning home with less stuff then when I came here. I think I've already talked about this but I've come to the realization that I don't need as much shit as I thought I did. When I get home I'm going to go into the garage that I have my crap stored and really thin it out. I don't like having too many things. I've never been a collector and I don't' think I ever will be. A collector of things any ways. Portland garage sale, TBA.
I just found out that I've never had the chicken pox or measles. This could complicate some things if I plan on going to Vietnam I guess. How the hell did I not the chicken pox when I was little? I remember all my friends having those nasty looking bumps and I remember hanging out with them while they had it. This isn't the first time I've missed the infectious bullet. People always seem to catch shit and I somehow escape, knock on wood. I remember everyone got poison ivy and I didn't get so much as an itch. That said, I do tend to think I have everything in the book. Ball cancer, brain cancer, Ebola, etc.
It's been a while since I worked with the kids at my job and this past week was my last week working with them since I will be in the adult program for the remainder of my time here. So I think I'll end this random ass blog with a cop of a letter one of my students gave me on Friday. Her name was Ji Yun but I nicknamed her "sleepy" because she fell asleep her first day in class. As always I will type the letter out exactly as it was written to me. Sleepy's English was actually pretty good however.
Dear Chris,
I believe that you remember me, (unless you have a terrible memory, i guess.) "Sleepy", when I first came into the Village, I really was sleepy. But I promise that I did not fall to sleep! I heard that I look sleepy a lot in school, too, so I was pretty much disappointed when I heard it again. Ha, ha...
But I had a fun time because of you, since you joked to me. I was happy to have a lot of homeroom classes with you. You are kind and handsome...my first black face teacher too!! I really like the "Stop the bus" game. Remember when I asked you why you had no hair? You say your hair does not like you so it ran away. You are funny like Will Smith. Any way I had a good time here. I hope you like me, too. Bye!
Sincerely, Ji Yun
P.S. Today's T-shirt was cool, with the same color with your skin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment