A very, very good friend of mine just sent me an email in which she pretended to be having a conversation with me. I think the point of her very funny message to me was that she would like to hear from me more often. I think she believes our lack of interaction lately is due to a lady friend of mine but this assertion is false. Our lack of communication is due to a change in my work schedule and the fact that she is never on skype. But her email did inspire me to put finger to keyboard and write a little bit.
After I read her email and finished laughing I started thinking about people who stop talking to their friends because they are in a relationship with someone. I think that is the worst thing a person can do and I'm sure at some point we have all done it. I thought about my past relationships and I came to the conclusion that my friendships have always been the other woman. I am in love with the majority of my friends...except you Alex, the only thing I feel for you is hate and disgust! It doesn't matter how much I like someone I'm with I always have my friends in the back of my mind. I'm not sure if that's healthy or not but I thought I'd just come clean with it. Relationships end or at least mine do and when they go the way of the Dodo Birds I have always had my friends. Sure I have lost some along but for the most part I have a solid group of people I trust and can be myself around.
All of my friends are so unique. I've always thought if I could somehow harness all the potential in the people I call my friends I would be a rich man. But the emotional support I get from my friends, in particular my female friends has always sustained me in hard times. I tend to lean more on my friends than I do my partners. You don't have to say anything because I'm pretty sure that's not the healthiest thing in the world but I'm trying to be honest here. As we all know I have trust issues with my partners. Yes, I'm working on it but it's a slow process. Those trust issues melt away with my friends and I think that's why I like spending time with all of you. You can imagine what the past two years has been like for me. Sure I've made some good friendships here and there are some people here who I will continue to be in touch with after I leave but I have not found anyone like the people I left back in the states.
So when I say that I can't wait to see all of you I truly mean it from the bottom of my heart. I miss you guys and I can not wait to hang out with you. You know I'm going to cause trouble when we reunite but that's what I do and that's why you love me.
So to my friend who would like me to contact her soon I say "of course I will." I will skype you this weekend and you can vent about your life. I will always make time for the people who are important in my life. That is why I never have time for you Alex.
I have known some of you as long as I have known myself. I've lived with some of you. I've taken road trips with some of you. I've stayed up all night with some of you. We've cried, we've laughed, we've fought and we are still friends. Okay I'm done drooling over all of you now so I'll leave you with this quote:
"Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends."
~ Richard Bach
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment