Saturday, June 27, 2009

Lie to me

Before I begin this little blog I would like to acknowledge the passing of a great musical talent Michael Jackson. The reaction on this side of the world has been intense. He really was a world phenomenon and he seems to have touched the lives of people all over this planet. Say what you will about some of his "choices" it takes a special person to impact every crevice of the planet earth. Although my blackness will not allow me to say anything negative about him (see Chappelle's Celebrity Trial Jury Selection Episode http://www.videovat.com/videos/929/dave-chapelle-jury-duty.aspx) I will say this, perhaps....perhaps it's never a good idea for a grown ass man to sleep in the same bed with young children that he is not related to and/or just met the other day. Rest In Peace M.J.

I found a quote a while ago that said something like "people lie with their words and with their silence." I think this quote is so relevant for the time and age that we live in. I want to begin by saying I know no person who has never told a lie. I think it's hard to go a day without telling some kind of untruth, however being a hypocrite and a liar is something completely different. My problem with politics and politicians has hit the spotlight lately with two high profile politicians recently "admitting" to extra marital affairs.

Cheating sucks. Cheating on your partner whom you are married to is even worse. Cheating on your partner whom you are married to while getting elected on a "family values" platform is bullshit. Politicians, in my opinion, are encouraged to lie to the public every time they have to make a speech about something. We don't really want to hear the truth. People want to pretend like the world is black and white and that's just not the case. Shits hard. Marriage is hard. Relationships are hard. Religion is confusing. Conflicting messages run rampant in most ideologies and yet these people continue to talk about absolutes.

Politicians are like sharks, they smell blood in the water and they attack. When Bill cheated on Hillary and then lied about it Washington came to a standstill and they wanted blood! Now look at how some of these same faces who were calling bloody murder find themselves on the other side of the gate. But...it's always different when it's happening to you. You had a really good reason for doing what you did. I believe that's the very definition of the fundamental attribution error.

Republican, Democrat, whatever, people are people and people fuck up all the time. I do mean, all the time. Celebrity, politician, rich, poor, black, white, no one can escape this fact. Hypocrisy runs thick in our political structure. But, we turn a blind eye and we listen to the speeches. We listen to the lies. Nobody has a monopoly on values. It is difficult to define culture and people should stop drawing these lines in the sand.

Shit happens and I think there is a growing movement among the masses to be told the truth. We want someone to be honest with us. Now, I'm about to say something that might piss some people off but it's got to be said. Obama is a politician! It's true, it's true. I promise you that he has told many lies thus far and we have many more in store for us. Unfortunately, you cannot hold the nations highest office and tell the truth. I think the office actually requires that you mislead people. Obama has most likely sold a piece of his soul on a daily basis. But I think it does not have to be that way. We have yet to find an individual who is brave enough, who is real enough to tell us the truth. If I squint my eyes and turn my head Obama will appear like this kind of person but it quickly disappears.

The world is ripe for a shift in consciousness, we just need that person who can remove the sword from the stone and lead us into the future.

1 comment:

Monica said...

I'm thinking maybe you need to be a politician since we need more straight shooters with integrity.