Sometimes I go jogging twice a day. This Sunday is one of those days. I just got back from my second jog and it was one of the strangest 45 minutes I've had in a while. My first jog was this morning and quite uneventful. The jog I just got back from was far from uneventful. I started walking down my cobble street towards the open road. There are a large number of butterflies and dragon flies out today. The butterflies are big and beautiful. They look like miniature bats when they flap their wings from one flower to the next. I was watching one of these creatures when I stumbled onto the set of a commercial being filmed at my work place. They shoot music video, commercials and scenes from movies all the time at my place of business. The reason being that this entire place is built to look like a small town. The rumor is that one day the whole place will be sold to a Korean film studio. It basically already is a film studio with how much people come here to film.
Anyways, I stumbled onto what looks like a car commercial and the director looked pretty pissed off. Not at me but at the person who is supposed to stop people from wondering into the camera shot. They stopped shooting and I quickly kept walking towards the open road to begin my jog. As I continued down the hill I looked back and noticed that the Korean model or actress (I'm not sure which) was waving at me frantically with a big smile on her face. I thought this was odd because Koreans really don't smile when they look at me. I crossed outside of the guard gate that is the entrance of my place and I started a pleasant, slow paced jog. I was listening to my ipod noticing all the Koreans camped out on the sidewalks "picnicking. I am always amazed at the Koreans ability to picnic on a slab of cement. The expression on their faces gives the impression that they are sitting in a beautiful meadow watching the sun go down. But in reality they are squatting on cement covered by a piece of tarp drinking Soju and eating some kind of rice and cabbage dish.
As I continued my jog I noticed all the cars parked on the side of the street with older Korean gentlemen and much younger Korean girls snuggled up together. I forget that I live in "the country" and that is where you take your lover if you are married. You take them to the country and you rent a "love motel." which usually has all the free Korean porn one can handle.
This jog was proving to be highly entertaining. I needed something like this to take my mind off of things. As I made my way up the final hill back towards the guards station the sun actually did start to set and I slowed down to enjoy the sight.
I waved to the guards and ran into some co-workers. I made my way back towards my apartment and came across the same commercial that was wrapping up. The out of know where this tall, skinny Korean model/actress person came running up to me. She seemed very excited and her entourage had camera's ready in their hands. At first I thought they thought I was someone else. There is a tendancy in Korea to think all black people look a like. After some low level Korean and some more low level English I found that they did not think I was anyone in particular. Then why did this woman want to have her picture taken with me? I got this answer from one of her agent/handler/friend people who spoke some English. After they took a lot of freak'n pictures and I was made to pose (while sweating like a pig mind you) she gave me a big hug and her card which is in Korean so I can't read it. I asked her friend what the deal was and he told me that Yu-ri is "famous Korean actress." I think I've mentioned this before but everyone who gets on tv is considered famous in Korea. So I always take the whole famous thing with a huge boulder of salt.
Anyways, he told me that she loves black men from America . I guess she grew up watching MTV and her favorite she loves "the rap." It all started to make more sense the more this guy talked to me but then he said something that made me laugh out loud. I guess this girl's favorite actor is Malcom Jamal Warner (Theo from the Cosby Show) and she thought I looked like him. I'm not really sure why she gave me her card but I think it's funny that she'll probably show those pictures to people and the conversation (in Korean of course) will start something like this, "Doesn't this guy look exactly like Theo from the Cosby Show?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment