I was not expecting to write a blog this soon but I just had to get this off my chest. I have not talked about the political atmosphere in a long time but I just have to comment on some things. I'm not even going to talk about the qualifications of Palin but I would like to discuss some of the comments circling around about the governor of Alaska. First of all, who really gives a fuck how many kids she has? I don't. But some have actually considered this and tried to make it stick. It's already been said but it bares repeating that this question would never be asked to a male running for office. Palin is married and what's wrong with the husband spending more time at home to keep a watchful eye on the children? Her young daughter is pregnant. Ok, shit happens. But when shit like this happens to a person who is a staunch supporter of "abstinence only" sex education the irony of the situation should not be lost on people. Does abstinence only education really work....well, the proof really is in the pudding. Is this Palin's fault? Nope. Young people are horny. At least, most young people are horny, and sex feels good. Most people like to have sex. This is just a fact of life and people need to stop pretending otherwise. So if we know that young people are going to be engaging in "the sex" why not educate them on how to do it responsibly and safely. Shit man, even with sex education mistakes still happen, it's a fact of life and covering your eyes will not change that fact.
Here's my problem with conservatives right now. There is this "do as we say, not as we do" attitude. I keep hearing people say that families should be off limits in politics and I mostly agree with this. But why should it be just families that are off limits. I think lies should be off limits. I think bullshit should be off limits but apparently this is completely acceptable in our politics. But give me a fucking break people. You have people like Rush fucking Limbaugh telling people to back off Palin and screaming sexism. Now, there is and there will continue to be sexist remarks made and they will play a role during the elections. There is and there will continue to be racial remarks make and they will continue to play a role during the elections. I ask you to honestly consider this scenario in reverse. Imagine that Barack and Michelle have five kids and their teenage daughter gets pregnant. Do you really think that the Rush Limbaughs and the news media would not make that a story? Do you not think that people would try to link those old stereotypes about the young, black, unwed mother to the stories that would be told about their daughter? People need to be real. Barack would have been crushed by all the media.
People keep talking about character and morality but it's all bullshit and the news is falling for the same old traps. People are questioning character and morals and skipping policies and disturbing events that look like abuses of power. Fucking 20% of people in America think Obama is or was a Muslim. They think he's lying when he says he is not. What the fuck? What is wrong with people and why is it Ok to hate on Muslims so publicly in our country. Did 9/11 make it socially acceptable to hate people from the Middle East? The answer is yes, yes, yes! If Barack had married Michelle after leaving his first wife for her it would be such a fucking scandal the the news would talk about it all the time. His character would be questioned constantly. If Barack had a history of telling sexist jokes he would be crushed. If he had a well documented anger problem he would not have made it this far.
This is really a season of double standards and I am scared shitless. This could be one of the most important decisions in my life time. I hope it does not boil down to guns, gays and abortion. I hope to God it goes deeper than that this year.
I do not understand how people are consistently voting against their own interests. I've been listening to the news lately and they said just today that "white people" have inches McCain above Obama in the polls. First of all, no shit dude. Like we couldn't see that one coming. But these people who are voting for McCain are voting against improving the quality of their life. They are voting against policies that will give them tax breaks and lower the cost of certain services they need. I'm talking about lower income white folks here. I actually thought that the only color that would really end up mattering in the end was the color of money but race is still a huge issue in our country. We are not nearly as far along as we would like to believe. Before Palin I think it was a lot easier for some people to use Barack's experience as their main deterrent to wanting to vote for him. But now they are sweating a little bit because they have to come up with other reasons that they think will not be looked down upon.
I say fuck that. Say it like you mean it people. I'll start. Being that I'm am not afraid of white people or women I can honestly say that McCains race plays no role in my feelings about him. Palins gender plays no role in my feelings about her. I would like to say that religion should not play a role but it does. That's why the whole Muslim thing is so powerful, but are the more liberal people any better. I'm including myself in this category by the way. I find myself concerned about Creationists in our country. I think to myself, if you really believe that the earth is not that old should you be making policy decisions or have influence on a domestic and global level? But, am I not then treating their crazy asses similarly to the way Muslims are being treated? I don't know. I struggle with this. But, if you try to ban books then you don't deserve to speak for anyone but yourself and maybe your family. Leave the rest of us the fuck alone. Don't try to tell me what I can and can not read. Don't try to limit the information that I can have access to. If you do that then you truly are a threat to the United States of America and all that we should stand for.
Some days I feel like the people of the world have a death wish. We are destroying the planet and attacking each other daily. Some days I feel like the United States is leading the way with this attitude. For the first time I feel like our votes in November will truly decide the future of our country for generations to come. That is not a decision that should be made because of race, gender, age, sexuality, or religion. I guess it comes down to what kind of world do people want to live in or more importantly what kind of world do people want their children and future children to live in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Shit dude,
You go.
I think you bring up several excellent points. My favorite regards creationism (remember: I was raised by an evolutionary biologist who now teaches in the Hall of Origins in the Museum of Natural History, NY)
I believe it's crazy to elect officials who disregard science. Science is exactly where we need to be putting our money and research. Science is what should guide our policies concerning the Earth. True, science can be seen as just another religion but seriously - we've got evidence to prove these things. If someone is capable of turning a blind eye to scientific evidence in favor of a belief, what else are they capable of ignoring - racism? sexism? war? poverty? social injustice? teen sex?
it's gross.
Post a Comment