Thursday, October 9, 2008

No more bald man in our society!

So at the place I work at, when a person is good at their job or shows any sign of intelligence that person gets more and more responsibility. This responsibility comes in the form of jobs that no one else wants. These jobs do not mean extra pay most of the time although they do mean more hours and more difficult work. This is, I believe, one of the main reasons that most people do very little at my work. For months and months now the administration has been trying to trick me into a Head Teacher position and I continue to refuse the "promotion" because it is not worth it, trust me. In the mean time, I keep getting assigned to these random as jobs and yesterday I got the most random to date. This job is going to last until next Friday when my results will be due. I am one of three foreign judges who must judge a freaking country wide English Speech and Drama contest among elementary, middle school and high school aged kids. This means that I am and will be sending the next week or so looking at digital video of these kids giving their "no longer than five minute speeches" and "no longer than seven minute drama presentations. I've already started and it is painful. Before I continue let me give you some of the titles of these speeches that I've been having to watch. Each video begins with the title of the speech. I have not changed any of the words in the title and I am not making these titles up. Some of the better ones are:
1. A big tip 2. Why do people laugh 3. I want to go first 4. Travel that made me grow up 5. My brothers dog 6. Friends is another me 7. I am falling in love with mile 8. Ways to be happy 9. Our Multi-functional Hands! 10. Please stop dieting! 11. Why the instant food is bad for us? 12. The smaller the hotter 13. Everyone needs exercise 14. save us!! 15. Diamonds ae Sad Women's Best Friend 16. The death of a frog 17. No more bald man in our society 18. The Black Power of Barack Obama 19. Flame in our minds 20. Give a trip to your closed mind 21. Jesus in my life 22. The story that Moved My Talent 23. Christmas is not a birthday of Jesus 24. Be entirely His! 25. Do you think to be This is Always Good? 26. From chick to the cock 27. The word which gives life 28. I respect Abraham Lincoln 29. Mr. Ban KiMoon, Light of My life.

Now, these are the kind of speeches that I'm going to have to listen to 8 hours a day for the next 8 working days. The topics were up to the kids by the way, they could choose whatever they wanted to talk about. I would much rather be teaching but administration gets it locked in their heads which teachers they can trust and like and once you're on that list the only way to get off is to not do your job or to get into some other kind of trouble.

I was called into the office today to discuss the particulars of my new contract. They gave me the maximum amount for my raise and tried to convince me to stay for a year instead of until the end of April. I thought about saying "Hell the No!" but all I was "no thanks." When I was meeting with these three Koreans whom I have had such limited contact with it felt strange to be discussing my new contract with them one of them asked me this very odd question that makes me think I'm in for some shit until I leave in April. In very broken English she said, "What if we make new position that you are required to take? Would this create stress in your life?"

How the fuck do you answer a question like that? I just shook my head no. I'm pretty sure with all the things that have happened to me and around me in the past year or so I can handle six more months of Korean craziness at the work place, but I'm a little nervous what they are going to do with me.

The more I think about it the more I realize that I dont' really enjoy teaching English but I think I would like the chance to travel around some more and have money to do so. Of course the money I'm being paid in is currently worth half of what it used to be worth when I first got here which presents a whole host of problems I don't even want to think about at the moment.

Why can't I find of bag full of money? I'm still holding out for this. In the mean time I've gotta keep working, but I need to find work I want to do. I'm hoping to just relax next summer and figure that all out while keeping my overseas options open. Don't really know why I'm thinking about this shit now.

Oh, I've decided that I swear to much and I will be making a huge push to stop or at least decrease the curse words. Some people smoke, I like to say shit and fuck! I hope people are enjoying their last days of warm weather where ever you may be at this time.

Take care.

No comments: